.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cat Defender

Exposing the Lies and Crimes of Bird Advocates, Wildlife Biologists, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, PETA, the Humane Society of the United States, Exterminators, Vivisectors, the Scientific Community, Fur Traffickers, Cloners, Breeders, Designer Pet Purveyors, Hoarders, Motorists, the United States Military, and Other Ailurophobes

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Scarlett, the Cat Who Saved Her Kittens from a Burning Building in 1996, Is Still Alive on Long Island


It was way back in the spring of 1996 that the world first became acquainted with Scarlett. She was the courageous black and white cat who made five trips into a burning building in Brooklyn, New York in order to carry to safety her five, four-week old kittens.

Once the image of her with her blistered-shut eyes, burned paws, and singed fur was flashed around the world she not only became famous but her self-sacrifice and maternal devotion became an inspiration to one and all.

According to information supplied by Marilyn Di Toro of the North Shore Animal League (NASL) in Port Washington, Long Island, Scarlett is still alive and doing relatively well considering the extent of her injuries. She still lives with Karen Wellen on Long Island and visits NSAL's medical center every six months for check-ups.

Unfortunately, she still carries with her the scars from her ordeal back in 1996. For instance, there are places on her body where the fur has not grown back and the tips of her ears and her eyelids were burned off by the inferno.

Medication must therefore be applied to her eyes several times a day in order to keep them moist. Apparently, she is not in too much discomfort.

Scarlett Had a Long and Difficult Recovery

Two of the kittens that Scarlett pulled from the fire, Oreo and Cinders, live with Debbie Palmarozzo in East Hampton. Oreo is healthy but Cinders has a condition known as cerebella which causes him to lose his balance.

Samsara and Tanuki still live with Corinne and Ginette Vercillo in Port Washington and are reportedly in good health. Scarlett's fifth offspring suffered severe smoke inhalation and died shortly after his rescue back in 1996.

According to Ms. Di Toro, Scarlett's popularity has not waned much during the past nine years and NSAL still receives inquiries about her and her kittens from as far away as Japan.

It is sad that Scarlett had to -- and continues to -- suffer for her bravery. Nonetheless, she remains an inspiration to people everywhere and one can only wish her and her now fully-grown kittens continued good health, a long life, and Godspeed.

Having known so much pain in her life, she deserves from now on to know only good things.

Photos: Moggies.